Congratulations to Andrew Hensen, the recipient of the Lockport Chamber of Commerce 2016/2017 Moving Forward Scholarship! Andrew will be heading to California Polytechnic State University in the fall to study Architectural Engineering. Lockport Chamber of Commerce Board Members Gregg Bickus and Pete Colarelli presented Andrew with his award at Senior Awards Night on Thursday, May 18. Congratulations Andrew!
- 2015/2016- Carolyn Dietz attending Indiana University- Purdue University of Indianapolis, studying Health Sciences
- 2014/2015- Alainna Martinez attending University of Illinois, studying Special Education
The Lockport Chamber Moving Forward Scholarship application period for 2016/2017 is now available. See below for further information.
THE APPLICATION PERIOD FOR THE 2016-2017 LOCKPORT CHAMBER MOVING FORWARD SCHOLARSHIP IS CLOSED!
Each year, volunteers from the Lockport Chamber membership assist in choosing the Moving Forward Scholarship recipient. This year, applications will be reviewed the week of April 25, 2017. In order to serve on the committee, you must be available to attend the meeting. Click here if you are interested in serving on the 2017 Lockport Chamber Scholarship Committee.
The following situations would disqualify a Chamber Member from serving on the Scholarship Committee:
- Any familial relationship to an applicant.
- Writing a letter of recommendation for an applicant.
The Lockport Chamber of Commerce Moving Forward Scholarship will be awarded to the selected recipient and presented by a Lockport Chamber of Commerce Board Member at LTHS Academic Awards Night taking place on May 18, 2017 at 7:00pm.
Lockport Chamber of Commerce
Moving Forward Scholarship
School Year 2016-17
Academic Focus: The Lockport Chamber of Commerce would like to assist students who will be pursuing a degree in a business-related field by awarding a $1,000 scholarship to cover tuition, books and supplies. The funds may be used for any term, including the summer term, during the awarded academic school year. This scholarship will be provided to a graduating senior of Lockport Township High School.
- Must be a citizen of the United States of America
- Must be a LTHS graduating senior
- Must have a minimum 3.0 of 4.0 scale unweighted cumulative GPA up to and including first semester of senior year in High School
- Must be either entering or enrolled in college/university or trade/technical school in the United States of America on a full-time basis
- Must submit application and all required materials in single envelope by deadline date
- All scholarship applications and requested materials must be postmarked by April 7, 2017
- Lockport Chamber of Commerce will not acknowledge receipt of applications. If you would like to verify receipt of application send application via Certified US mail or any carrier that has tracking options
- Faxes are not accepted
Notification to Recipients
- Recipients only will be notified by LTHS to attend awards night when scholarship will be awarded
- Students that do not receive scholarship are not notified
The following materials are required to complete the application process. These items must be submitted in a single envelope in the order listed. All incomplete packets will be discarded.
- Application – must be on original form (link to PDF File at top of this page)
- A short essay (250-350 words) based on interviewing a business owner in the community and telling their story of successes/failures.
- Resume including work experience (jobs with or without pay), school experiences (athletics, clubs, etc.), out-of-school activities (church, scouts, etc.), awards you have received, and hobbies and special interests (name at top only)
- Two letters of recommendation – one (1) from faculty, one (1) from Lockport Chamber member in good standing
- Transcript from school showing GPA required (awardees will be verified)
Mail Completed packet to:
Lockport Chamber Scholarship Committee
921 S. State St.
Lockport, IL 60441